Tuesday, August 18, 2009

sharing my work

The other day I told my wife that I had posted my short story about military school boys learning to light farts. She was aghast, questioning my sensibilities and maturity. So far, I have posted 16 items, including the chapter from my three years at Manlius Military Academy outside of Syracuse, New York. All the others are poems I have written with two exceptions -- a piece that had been sent to me that I wanted to share and a chapter of my life that had tremendous effects on me. Putting out pieces of literature is always hazardous. I like what I have written -- some more than others. Some I think could still use more work and some I may always feel they need more work. I had fun wit the school bit. It actually happened. It was a Tom Brown's School Days, but personal. It was boys being boys in an all-boys environment. We were 12 to 17 or so and we had the new boys and the old boys and the uniforms and the shined shoes and the inspections and the cadet officers and getting away with things in our own very clever ways and marching in the snow and sneaking across the street to attend the fair. The poems have been sitting in folders and floppies and now on DVDs. The first was written when I was a teenager. They are about things I saw and heard and experienced. And they were/are my way of expressing myself, my feelings and my experiences. Are they good? Only the reader can tell. I enjoyed putting them on paper and now I am enjoying getting them out of hiding and putting them out for anybody to read. Can they all be read in my cousin's third grade class. Absolutely not. Some can. Others are for very select audiences. I do not censor. My Friendly Neighborhood Bar tries to capture the life and language that I observed in the bars. I don't think anybody there ever said, "Gee whiz!" So, here they are. And I have more to add. I'd love to hear from you -- whether you like them, were disgusted by them, thought they needed more work.

No comments:

Post a Comment