Friday, August 28, 2009

Good Night

How many ways are there to express love? Fires are lit at the moment and years later you may want to smile or grimace, but there it is.

Good Night
By Henry David Rosso

It is cold and raining.
I even got the comforter out of the closet and put it on the bed.
It is time to go to bed.
But I don't want to even though I want to.
I want you here with me.
I want you under the comforter with me.
I want your body up against me.
I want to spoon you and feel your tight American ass up against me
and my arms around you and my hands cupping your breasts
and my lips on your neck.
I was watching television
-- the end of Law and Order, one of my favorites –
and the Olympics
and a real live ER docudrama
and a special on NASCAR
and the original British version of "Whose Line is it Anyway?"
Normally, any one of them would have kept my attention.
But nothing did tonight.
And now I am in front of the computer
our link to each other in times of separation
listening to Saint Saens organ symphony, one of my favorites.
I have the windows open in my room
so I can listen to the rain and the cool air will come into the room
and I can escape under the comforter.
I want you here to talk to -- with.
I heated up leftovers for dinner and had a salad.
I always ate salad when I was with you.
That's healthy.
You are healthy for me.
I'm really missing you
(as opposed to not really missing me or pretending to miss me?)
your ring is around my neck and I like it there.
It feels like it belongs there.
although I don't think I have ever worn anything around my neck
except for dog tags during Vietnam.
I like working and getting e-mails from you.
It's almost like you are here
with me and we are both doing our things
and looking over each other's shoulders
and saying hi to each other as we work.
I'd rather be in the same room at different computers,
looking up at each other occasionally.
Now we talk to each other from 4,100 miles apart.
And there is always the time difference.
I'm up for breakfast and you are going out for lunch;
I am taping Judge Judy and you are getting ready for bed.
I am wrapping up a day of work and you are having drinks
with an ex lover and a current would-be lover.
And I am wondering how the evening is going for you.
And then you get an e-mail from a wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper
who wants to tell you he is having wet dreams over you.
And I am waiting for the time we are together again
and I can hold you very close and feel you hold me very close
and I love you and miss you
and wish you were here
and life is good with you even when I am without you.
Now maybe I will go to bed and sleep.
I love you,
Must I tell you everything?

No comments:

Post a Comment