Thursday, January 13, 2011

All: This Is My Last Day - Chapter 13

CHAPTER 13
On many occasions I have discussed or mentioned stringers, their work and their struggles to get paid.
1999
The situation continued to worsen. We received depressing outlooks, told we might want to update our resumes. Layoffs continued. Hiring was out of the question. I was losing people on the desk and scheduling the staff I had left was barely covering the 24 hours a day that had to be covered.
The news philosophy was now to scrape up everything from newspapers and send out rewrites, rather than do independent reporting. We also depended on stringers -- reporters who were paid by the story, and those payments were becoming painfully delinquent.
Our stringers covered events across the United States and around the world -- the workings of local governments, tragedies, plane crashes, fires, earthquakes, assassinations and many times the oddball story that, well, you had to be there. And we were so fortunate to have so many "there."
Here is one I saved.
Bc-israel-cop 8-7-97
Naked cop flees gun-wielding woman
By JOSHUA BRILLIANT
TEL AVIV, Aug. 7 (UPI) – A policeman who made advances on a woman has found himself running naked down a street in Jaffa, south of Tel Aviv, screaming for help.
The Daily Yediot Aharonot reports today the woman’s father chased the policeman with a bat, and the 30-year-old divorcee followed the two waving the cop’s handgun.
A police spokeswoman said, “such an incident happened,” but declined to confirm or deny details. She said Justice Ministry investigators are looking into the incident.
The policeman, who identified himself as “Subhi,” has been making advances to the woman over the past three months.
The woman told her farther. Her father found the policeman’s number on a caller ID device and was stunned when he called the number and an operator answered: “Police, shalom.” Once Subhi called from his home, and the father traced the private number.
The father complained to the Jaffa police. The police suggested the woman, whose name was not revealed, invite Subhi home. They told her father to call them when Subhi arrived.
Subhi turned up with his gun in his holster. He hugged the woman and tried to carry her to the bedroom. She suggested he take a shower first, and he agreed.
The father, hiding in another room, alerted police. He then stormed into the bathroom and clubbed the naked cop.
Subhi fled, and the father chased him into the street. The woman grabbed Subhi’s gun, followed the two and shouted at Subhi to stop or she’d shoot. Luckily for Subhi — and perhaps some innocent bystanders — police arrived before she pulled the trigger.

When I was fired in 1993, I had made a point in my open letter to note the company's poor record of paying stringers. When Editor&Publisher wrote about my dismissal, Steve Geimann, asked about that charge, said stringers have been paid.
E&P added: "Then he added that some had not been paid, but said how stringers are paid is a business decision. Some are paid right away, others at various intervals."
Geimann told E&P that UPI was still in business and "bills are being paid." But, he added that all bills are not necessarily paid the moment they come in.
Pressed, Geimann said he was not going to get into UPI's internal affairs.

Here is a sampling of queries regarding pay from stringers. I have removed names. I was always amazed at their dedication, despite not being paid. Without fail, they would message or call, ask about pay, and when I was still unable to reassure them, they would offer two or three stories for the day.

Sept. 11, 1992
Csongos-wa
You’ll have to excuse me if I sound reluctant, but I’ve already used up all my goodwill with potential stringers and promises of payment that never have been made. No one blvs me anymore. However, will make further attempts next week. Rgds. Boston

Dec. 18, 1992
I’ve just received a letter from Washington news stringer XXXXX, who covered the trial of Clair George, an ex-CIA deputy chief. He writes, “It has been 2 ½ months ago since I reported on the trial for UPI and two months since I covered the Arab delegations’ press conference at the conclusion of the last round of peace talks.
“With all the time having passed, I was sure that I would have received my earned pay. I have received nothing. I request that you have a check issued in the amount of $775, as agreed … I would appreciate receiving the check immediately.”
The reason I’m giving you these details is this: I have a suspicion that this guy is willing to go to court in an effort to collect his money. And this is the kind of publicity we should try to avoid.
Cheers,

Jan. 14, 1993
Geimann-wa
Re stringers, nd to get following caught up as best possbl:
Srtinger A: … (want to use her for spring training but she won’t do unless she gets caught up)
Stringer B: … he’s owed a considerable amount and I use him every week.
Stringer C: … has been coming in every week since September to help collect scores and has not been paid a dime.
Stringer D: … want to use him for spring training too. With no one in bay area, nd to get him back in fold.
Stringer E: … covers new york for us
Stringer F: … he’s been covering los angeles for us and hasn’t been paid since September.
(note lists five others without comment)
New York Sports

Jan. 14, 1993
Geimann
Is there anything we can tell stringers?? I have to deal with our north jersey guy today on two (2) major stories, one of which will prolly be ntl skedder. Wud be nice if I can tell him something, especially if it’s something accurate and not like the last time when I tld him he was on the list and then he never got anything. Thanks et chrs. Trenton
Trenton
We’re working on the stringer issue right now, and I hope to have a time schedule later today for paying the key stringers. If he’s critical, we should be able to get something to him by early next week. But I won’t know exactly until later today. Which stringer are you talking to? Chrs. Geimann-wa

feb. 2, 1993
lengthy note to Bob Kennedy, Middle East broadcasting associates, and Steve Geimann, executive editor, UPI
Gentlemen
As journalists and bureau chiefs dedicated to the survival and prosperity of UPI, we have become increasingly concerned over the growing financial, personnel and morale problems that are pushing the EuroMedAf Division of United Press International to the verge of collapse.
We have endured pay cuts, staff shortages and other hardships because we share a belief in the need and purpose of this venerable institution.
……
Most disturbing — and the problem closest to our hearts — is that stringers and local staff, who enable UPI to produce a viable news report, are going unpaid. All are giving their time and skills, and some are risking their lives, for UPI. One has just been severely injured. We were appalled to learn that neither this person nor his assistant had been paid for months for covering the world’s most dangerous story.
Stringers and local staff must pay rent, buy food and support their families. Some have already stopped writing, severely hampering our work. Just one example is the European sports service, once our best seller in Europe, which is a shadow of its former self because the stringer network is collapsing.
……
The note was signed by bureau chiefs in Warsaw, Paris, Rome, Athens, Johannesburg, Belgrade, Bonn, London, Jerusalem, Moscow, Cairo and Beirut.

Feb. 23, 1993
Have received repeated phone calls from ... croation airlines who booked and paid for sullivan’s flights et is owed 2,447 pounds. He is becoming increasingly desperate as his calls to the upi office in the states are not returned.
Mr. XXX was more than helpful in making arrangements for Kevin for which he charged no extra. Eye wud therefore be very grateful if u cud return his calls.
U guaranteed the flights with ur credit card (American Express) which croation airlines was then not able to accept. Eye checked at the time with both u, david moyer et yur secretary that XXXXX wud be paid. Having spent mene hours arranging the details of kevin’s evacuation from yugo, it seems unfair to have to spend mene more hours fending off creditors. Cheers,

Feb. 26, 1993
Geimann responded in a telephone call saying that their letter went over his head by going to XXX and “that could create problems for him. That although he hears our concern and frustration, the option you exercised may actually backfire and upset ongoing negotiations (among the owners) re finalizing the business plan. he said they were very close to completing the business plan, and that when it is accepted by the owners it will include the money necessary to operate the company. I asked if the plan will be ready in a couple of weeks as I had gathered from the upi newser last Friday. A couple weeks is a fairer estimate, he said, but some details need to be completed. Other comments he made during this call, which was rather unpleasant, indicate he is not privy to those talks. He says the owners are putting their resources in the future. But he gave no indication whether that meant back bills would be paid.

1993
steve: is there anything you can do for XXXX? Dave says we owe him money for the book packages going back to September. As you know, he’s been doing the reviews on a regular basis. Even a partial payment would be nice. Cheers.

Geimann-ntl
Stringer is XXX …yes, it’s critical. But at this point, I’m not sure how to define critical given company’s recent pattern of stiffing people. XXXX has also been owed $$$ for months. Chrs. Trenton

Undated
Brightbill, martin x-koza
Here is the dreadful situation of today in Eastern Europe: Warsaw
1. Warsaw staffer quit Friday, effective July 13. she is going to AP where she will make 220 percent of what she makes now. This leaves us without a staffer as well as our accountant.
2. part-timer “hurt his back” and is expected to be out all week, which coincidentally is the week of exams where he is a teacher. This is the eighth week this year he has not worked for us for one reason or another. Last week he took off to care for his mother-in-law. This gives u an idea of where UPI is on his list of priorities. Frankly, it’s justified, because he is not being paid his pitiful salary on time by London.
3. this leaves XXX as our only staffer. He is trying to juggle full-time work at UPI with a one- or two-day-a-week job elsewhere that pays him the same salary we do.
4. under these circumstances, we will shortly be going to reduced operating hours in Warsaw.
5. our landlord, faced with a blizzard of bankruptcy court documents, is threatening to cancel our lease unless we write a letter saying we intend to continue renting the premises. Bogdon and I have taken it upon ourselves to promise them that if UPI goes bankrupt, we will be willing to take over the office. We are told that will get them off our back.
6. pap did not pay us for UPI services this month. That means we will probably no longer be getting dlrs 2,600 a month from them. Cash in hand today stands at dlrs 200.
Vienna
7. as you see by XXX’s letter, she is doing the job of three full-time people and hasn’t been paid since March. I am surprised she didn’t switch into low gear weeks ago, as she announced she is doing today. I chalk it up to extreme and extraordinary dedication. Besides her back pay, she deserves a medal for what she’s done for this company and what she’s been through because of it.
Hungary
8. Erika XXX has not worked since returning from vacation three weeks ago. She cannot afford to. We owe her dlrs 1,000 in back telephone bills, plus her retainer which hasn’t been paid for three months. She says as much as she loves UPI, she cannot afford to work for us anymore. She is trying to find some other way to pay those phone bills.
Czechoslovakia
9. peter XXX went to Yugoslavia this week for a string that pays him. This leaves no one for us in Czechoslovakia as the country is splitting up. We had to let XXXX go two months ago, to free up some money hopefully to get peter some of his back pay. I am too embarrassed to call the one other person I used to count on in a pinch, XXXX, because I fear London has not paid him the invoice he sent to London several times billing us for the piddling amount of approx 185 pounds of work over the past 2 ½ years. He said all he sought was a little recognition of his work, but we can’t even manage that.
Bulgaria
10. I know you are well aware of Vladimir’s problems. He cannot pay his phone bills either.
Yugoslavia
11. staffer XXXXX and XXXXX are both owed some back pay — XXXXX for two months I believe.
(Belgrade is of course a major priority, and I have some suggestions on how to make an impossible situation a little less impossible, when you have the chance to consider them)
in short, our Eastern Europe network, which took six years to build, has collapsed
rgds
Warsaw

Mr. Rosso
Hi. Having payment problems … Accounting says payment posted March 5. But U.S, bank say cheque has not been received. Would it be possible if you inquire and cross-check following info?
(provides bank information)
ablest and cheers,
(Athens)

March 23, 1998
Dear Mr. Adams,
It is my rule to never lose temper, until detrimental to keep it. And such is the present case.
For months, I have rigorously reported on every newsworthy event that has emerged from this increasingly intriguing part of the globe. Indeed, over 100 stories datelined from Athens contributed to the “I” in “UPI” since December.
The response? Not a penny’s payment.
If the organization does not envisage its renaissance as an international news agency, then it should insulate its isolationism and discourage rather than encourage stringer contributions.
But, should the contrary be the case, UPI must stand by the financial obligations of sustaining a small legion of foreign correspondents.
I look forward to your response and the organization’s payment of pending reporting fees from Athens.

Feb. 19, 1999
Susan Older, John Walston, Tobin Beck
Folks,
Stringers are understandably running out of patience. I deal with them on a daily basis — not to field their queries about their pay, but to handle the copy that they have contributed. And I hope that word “contributed” isn’t translated too literally. Take a look at the flow of copy from overseas — the death of King Hussein, Kosovo in France and Yugoslavia, and now Ocalan — all over the world. This copy wasn’t generated by the Focus Desk. It was generated by dedicated, hard-working journalists. And despite not being paid, some for months, they continue to put out, they continue to ask what more they can do, and, as an aside, “Dave, any word on pay?” The old UPI didn’t pay stringers. I was hoping the new UPI really would be new. These folks need to be able to depend on timely, regular pay checks. They have the same financial obligations that we have and not one of us would sit back and be happy missing several pay checks with no word when — or if — a check is forthcoming.
Rosso

Feb. 20, 1999
Dave:
Have u got any idea wot’s goin on with the string pay delay? Is it the usual once (or twice) a year major month or more delay for reasons beyond understanding — or is something more significant going on? As I look back on my records for the past couple years, I notice the January, February and March period of each year is full of delay -- with the traditional impact of extending by at least one month the overall cash flow. Like Anthony, my accounts show that all effort which I produced for UPI after the close of November last year remains unpaid.
Paris

Feb. 25, 1999
Hi Dave
It’s XXX in Amman. Hope you’re well. Just wanted to confirm something by Monday, when I bill UPI for Feb. I agreed with Chris Long when I was rehired that I would be getting $50 per story and $25 per spot. Up until this month, I didn’t file any spots on their own, and have a lot this month with King Hussein’s death and funeral coverage, in addition to Iraq statements on bombings. Just want to make sure that this still stands when I invoice UPI on Monday. Please confirm. Also, thnx for your msg yesterday on the checks. I just wish I knew what was going on inside, whether the management is having second thoughts about your very few stringers who are talking a huge load, or if they’re thinking of rehiring full-time, or whether they’re just going to let us all go again. If you hear anything thru the grapevines on status of stringers, pls let me know, so am prepared for what’s coming. I’ve been thru this ordeal so many times since 1990. I get a feeling they’re finding they’re not saving money by having fired all of us in Dec. 97, or are they? Anything uu know wud help me.
Thanks et rgds
(Amman)

Aug. 9, 1999
Note from David Fisher in UPI finance to Sajid Rizvi:
We have $1,900 for June. No stringer payments have been made, and I do not have an expected date for release.
Dave

Hi,
Re. Your message of 8-26 asking me to submit invoices for stories done in August by Sept. 1: e-mailed Tobin Beck, the guardian of the purse, and asked for the current rate. Since I haven’t heard anything yet (and don’t know whether there is an assistant purse keeper at your office whom I can ask), I am assuming that the rate is still $150 per story, same as back in April when I filed some stories for you. If there were any rate changes in the meantime, such as an INCREASE (yeah, right), you will let me know, won’t you. I will be sending you an invoice tomorrow by e-mail.
Also: another thing I haven’t heard from Tobin yet is whether you want me to continue sending updates on daily basis — or on whatever basis the story warrants — or whether you want me to quit anytime soon. I am quite happy to continue, but would like to know that you want me to do this.
Thanks for getting back to me on that; this way I’ll know these messages don’t end up in the big black hole,
(Geneva)

Aug. 31, 1999
Dave,
Despite much discussion back and forth about rates, I still haven’t heard from Tobin Beck. Since you asked me to submit this invoice by Sept. 1, which, at least on this side of the ocean is tomorrow, I am assuming that the rate of $150 per story is still current and valid. So that’s what I’m invoicing.
It was a pleasure, and I’ll keep in touch.
Geneva

Sept. 27, 1999
Dave,
Since none of my emails were answered lately, I’m not planning on submitting any more story suggestions, until and unless I hear something back. So, I’m going to submit my invoice for the stories I did in September as soon as you confirm that the rate of $150 per story still stands.
Thanks,
(Geneva)

Oct. 1, 1999
Hi — UPI is a private, independent news company that has subscribers. Our fastest growing area of business is providing news to websites. We are planning to expand our coverage of international issues, particularly analysis and depth coverage of economics and finance, science and technology, environment, global politics, defense and so on. We have staff and editors primarily in Washington, and rely mainly on stringers for coverage of events outside the United States.
Tobin Beck

Oct. 21, 1999
p.s. If I am screamed at by anyone other than you, Lisa or Karen will scream right back, as july pay is STILL NOT HERE!!! I am not complaining in the least, just stating a fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment