Thursday, May 20, 2010

Peace

I went outside this morning with my three cats and watched them play in the green grass speckled with little white flowers. The towering redwood poked high into the blue sky as the warm sun soothed me and I listened to a chorus of at least four different birds in the treetops warbling their various songs and I thought of what is going on in the world as I enjoyed the peace in my backyard and I suddenly thought of this song the Kingston Trio sang decades ago by Sheldon Harnick:

They're rioting in Africa
They're starving in Spain
There's hurricanes in Florida
And Texas needs rain.

The whole world is festering
With unhappy souls
The French hate the Germans,
The Germans hate the Poles

Italians hate Yugoslavs
South Africans hate the Dutch
And I don't like anybody very much

But we can be grateful
And thankful and proud
That man's been endowed
With a mushroom shaped cloud

And we know for certain
That some happy day
Someone will set the spark off
And we will all be blown away

They're rioting in Africa
There's strife in Iran
What nature doesn't do to us
Will be done by our fellow man.

No comments:

Post a Comment