Thursday, March 18, 2010

My Father And Einstein

My father always wanted me to be a journalist. I learned this in a few ways -- a couple very indirectly. The most direct was when I announced that while attending College of Marin in Marin County, California, I was majoring in music. He let it be known he was devastated.
"You are a writer," he told me, adding, "What are you going to do with a music major?"
I told him I wanted to teach and follow the example set by one of my favorite high school teachers, Byron Jones at San Rafael High School.
One day, my music professor, who was also our choir director, Drummond S. Wolff, came up to me after class with one of my attempts at composition. It had a lot of red marks all over it. He looked up at me. He was very short. And he said, "Why don't you go into journalism?"
The indirect came many years later, after my father had died. Immediately after he died, I found a letter he had written to me. He talked about his days at a newspaper with the old printing press and my days at Syracuse University and how someday I would be a great journalist. He attended Syracuse University. I did not. The letter was a class assignment. It was written when I was four years old.
The second came many years later in a book about Einstein written by Walter Isaacson. I quote from the section about my father:
He once helped a 15-year-old student, Henry Rosso, with a journalism class. Rosso's teacher had offered a top grade to anyone scoring an interview with the scientist, so Rosso showed up at the Einstein home, only to be rebuffed at the door. The milkman gave him a tip: Einstein walked a certain route each morning at 9:30. Rosso snuck out of school and accosted him.
But the student, flummoxed, didn't know what to ask. So Einstein suggested questions about math. "I discovered that nature was constructed in a wonderful way, and our task is to find out [its] mathematical structure," Einstein explained about his own education. "It is a kind of faith that helped me through my whole life."
The interview earned Henry Rosso an A.
So, I guess it was in my blood. But I don't think I ever got an A.

No comments:

Post a Comment