Monday, February 1, 2010

For Beer and Jeans

This is a song that was sung at the Grammys last night. Maybe I am seeing too much into it. Maybe I am too sensitive about war. See, there is a verse that disturbed me. Here it is:

I thank god for my life
And for the stars and stripes
May freedom forever fly, let it ring
Salute the ones who died
And the ones that give their lives, so we don't have to sacrifice
All the things we love

There is an eight-line chorus that is repeated five times:

You know what I'm a chicken fried
A cold beer on a Friday night
A pair of jeans that fit just right
And the radio up

Well I've seen the sunrise
See the love in my woman's eyes
Feel the touch of a precious child
And know a mother's love

Yes, thank god for those who die so that we don’t have to give up our cold beer and fried chicken and jeans that fit just right. And, yes, do it for the stars and stripes and old glory. And salute those who died. Should make them feel much better. Meanwhile, the peace man -- you know, that guy in the White House who won the Nobel Peace Prize who sent a whole lot of American warriors to Afghanistan – yeah, him, the president of the United States is overseeing the deaths of those we salute so we continue to enjoy our fried chicken, cold beer and jeans that fit. While actions in the name of the United States continue to kill civilians in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan. So that we don’t have to sacrifice all the things we love.

Maybe I’m reading too much into this song.

I am writing this on Feb. 1, 2010. So far, 31 Americans have been killed in Afghanistan. Another 20 coalition military personnel have been killed so far this year. The total after seven years in Iraq stands at 4,375 American of a total 4,693 coalition forces.

In 2007, U.S. beer consumption was 6.7 billion gallons, according to the National Association of Convenience Stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment